Sunday, January 31, 2010

February



We woke up to fresh snow on the ground, again. There has been more snow this winter than in the last 10 years combined, I am sure.
When we came back from our vacation in Florida, my little red Mini had turned into a huge white pile of snow. I didn't even bother digging it out since it wouldn't have made it very far anyway. For one week, I walked everywhere.
Which brings me to a book I've read over Christmas: "Not Buying It. My Year Without Shopping" by Judith Levine. Levine went without buying anything that wasn't absolutely necessary for one whole year. No books (she went to the library instead), no movies, no travel, definitely no clothes, no restaurant visits, no chocolate, no red wine...you get the idea. She cheated only twice by buying something in a second hand store and she did purchase quite a few magazine subscribtions the day before her "no shopping year" started.
Instead of coming up with new year resolutions I wondered, could I refrain from shopping for a year?
Nope.
6 months?
Eh, no.
1 month?
Everybody can go without shopping for one month, right? Even me.?
Now I was wondering which month I should take. It should be a winter month (I am more likely to stay indoors, meaning less temptation). And it should be the shortest month possible which would leave February.
So, after ordering a few books just before midnight last night, I decided that I will not buy anything that is not absolutely necessary for survival. If Levine can do it for a year, I can do it for a lousy, short little month.

2 comments:

Dre said...

Hahahaha! This should be interesting to say the least! I hope the world economy can survive the whole month!

Nikella said...

Unbelievable. I. Don't. Shop. That. Much!
I fully expect to make it through one month.