Sunday, June 10, 2012

Camino de Santiago


I don't remember exactly how we came up with the idea of walking a tiny section of the "Camino de Santiago", the ancient pilgrim's path of Saint Jacob but I do remember when. It was a cold, snowy December afternoon when my friend and I went online and started booking rooms in odd little guesthouses and hotels along the Jacob's trail in France.


We thought we would start in France, figuring that the hike in Alsace would be a good start, with its gentle paths through a beautiful landscape and accommodating, picturesque villages where we could stop at every second boulangerie (bakery) for fresh baked rolls and danishes.



So, on a beautiful June morning we began walking in Wissembourg...


...all the way to Walbourg, a whopping 31km (close to 20 miles)...










And while they were still smiling, by the time we reached our first hotel my legs felt numb, my shoulders where hurting and I didn't want to think about the next day and the heavy rucksack on my back.

No comments: