Friday, August 8, 2008

Moving II


Our apartment is a mess. There are boxes and piles of books everywhere. Some pieces of furniture are already sold or given away. The others will be soon. For my sanity I need to have order and a system around me. My job, and especially husband's job make our lives unpredictable and chaotic often enough, living in this mess turns me into a miserable person. 

I remember when we moved into this flat. We had been looking for months and months for a place to live and had found absolutely nothing. I guess it is hard to find a nice place in any larger city especially if you need something for a family. But here, people just shook their heads when I told them we NEEDED to stay somewhere! At one point husband was so frustrated that he wrote a note with the title "HELP" and our wishes for an apartment. He also offered a high amount of Euros for the rent. Husband and son pinned copies of the note on every single tree in our city. And trust me, there are lots of trees here. 
 
Not one single person called to offer us a place.

But a week later we got a phone call from a friend telling us to read the newspaper. A journalist had seen one of our copies and had written an article about how impossible it is for families to find a decent place in cities like ours. He quoted our note and commented on the high amount of rent we were willing to pay.

Still, no one called to offer us a place.

A week later, purely by chance, we found this place on the internet. I remember begging the real estate agent to pleeeeeeease rent it out to us. Nik was cute and charming and husband was perfect and oh, thank you, thank you...they let us rent it! (They had a whole selection process down with a lot of forms we had to fill out and an interview.) 


  

And now it is time to leave again. I hope the new renters will like it here as much as we did.

No comments: