Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Stand By


Today was my fifth day of stand by. Stand by meaning, I am on call from 5am till 9pm. In case I am needed, I have to be at the airport within one hour. I might be called out for a short domestic flight or I might have to go to Moskow and won't be back for the next five days.
Or I might not get called out at all.

Which can be good. On my first uneventful stand by day I cleaned the kitchen.
On the second day I changed the sheets, washed all the bedding and did the laundry.
On the third day I filed all the bills that have accumulated during the last six months.
Day fourth I caught up on correspondence.
Today, on the fifth day, I ran out of things to do.


There was absolutely nothing left to do that didn't require leaving the house. I had even ironed my uniform blouses.
Then daughter caught my eye. "Let's study." I said. "Let's do a dictation. Let's practise spelling and grammer."
"I am on vacation!" she protested.
"That's ok." I said. "I have nothing else to do. It will be fun!"


I think there was a second when she thought a flight to Moskow for me wouldn't have been that bad after all.


She did cheer up remarkebly though when I told her that tomorrow, unless I get called out, it is her brother's turn.

1 comment:

Mary-Laure said...

She is so pretty! I'd love to see more of her happy smile.