Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Through Nik's Eyes
















I still remember feeling surprised when I found out, during an ultrasound, that we would be having a son. I don't know anything about little boys! What would we have in common? What would we talk about? Growing up with a sister and being surrounded by little girls in kindergarden and school, having a son is like entering a new world for me. 

So, I watch him. I try to learn about Formula 1 and Nascar. I am memorizing the make and names of fast cars. I accept that he and his best buddy have to push and punch each other every time they meet. I overlook the hat on his head that he has worn daily since May. I watch him closely but I still don't get what is going on in a little boy's head. 

The thing is, I love his company. It doesn't matter that our interests couldn't differ more. Whenever possible we go to a coffee shop were we will sit with a cappuccino (me) and a piece of chocolate cake (him) and talk. He talks about his favorite soccer team and I listen, and I talk about our next vacation or my job or a purse I want and he listens. He is so much fun to be around even if I still don't get all that "boy stuff". 
   

The other day we went on a walk in a very beautiful area, close to were we live. You walk along a little path, through fields, a forest, gardens, you even pass a little stream. Son asks for my camera and starts taking pictures. For the whole duration of our walk he doesn't talk much and I can see he takes his mission quite seriously. Often he is far behind us, trying to get a good angle of something. 

These pictures here, are of our walk, the way son saw it.  

    

No comments: